Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Griffin Widner
9/12/14
US History B
Learning History through Film
               
                The use of movies on historical topics in the classroom can be just as effective as learning by way of a text book. They can help students understand the deeper, more emotional side of history, rather than just reading facts in a text book. An example of such films would be Glory and 12 Years a Slave. These two films allowed me to feel more empathy for the social groups of the time period, and in return I was more enthralled in the learning process, because in my opinion, it is easier to learn about something you are genuinely passionate about.
                The movie Glory takes place in the Civil War, and is based off two books that contained actual letters from the General, one of the main characters of the film. Essentially, the film is about the first all-African-American regiment in the military and the struggles that they underwent. Director Ed Zwick does a great job of using different personalities to portray the events that are happening, and make a more emotional connection to the viewer. My favorite point of view was from the character played by Denzel Washington, who was my favorite character. He played a former slave who was mad at the world and viewed going to war as “trading one type of slavery for another.” He was very easy for me to connect with, because I believe we all know what it feels like to do something that we really don’t want to do although we know we have to. Through this connection I became more involved with the story, and the actual history that was within the movie. I know the argument can be made that Washington’s role wasn’t based upon an actual historical figure, therefor the film is inaccurate. However, it must be understood that this is a motion picture, not an old text book. Personalities help us connect to the story, which IS historically accurate, as it is based upon the letters of General Shaw. The film gave me a much more effective way to learn the history of the 54th Regiment.
                12 Years a Slave is an Academy Award winning movie that takes us on the terrible adventure of a free African-American, Solomon Northrup, who is captured and sold into slavery wrongfully and then after 12 years becomes free again. The film is based upon the book of the same title that was written by the main character of the film, Solomon. This movie in my opinion was a lot more emotional than Glory, and I learned a lot from the move that I had never read in a history book, which only furthers my point that interest and learning are related. The film is seen entirely through Solomon’s eyes, and we witness the horrors of slavery. The film was fairly accurate in its depiction of the life of a slave. It showed the slaves being rented out to be used by other slave owners, which was something I had no idea ever happened. Another new thing I learned from the film was also very significant to me emotionally, and this is when Solomon is working alongside white men, who are getting paid, but that when he was free was of a higher social class than they were. This scene really made me feel sympathetic for Solomon, although the scenes of physical violence did as well. Through this film, I really felt more like I could possibly empathize with the slaves and that I learned a lot more about their daily lives that will stick with me longer than words on a page will.
                These two films are great examples of my personal learning experiences with movies. This should prove the correlation between a person’s interest to learn something and how much they actually learn. Also, I am a high school student, and it is much more interesting to watch a movie, even if it is analytically, than it is to read textbooks and do worksheets.




Sources, Film Research-Glory and 12 Years a Slave


No comments:

Post a Comment